The complete moving house & rental checklist
Moving house can be stressful when you’re renting with so many things to do before the big day comes. Don’t leave everything to the last minute because you can make this process more efficient and enjoyable by using a rental checklist and ticking things off as you go. By organising your removal with Prestige Moving and disconnecting utilities through to packing and cleaning yourself, it’s amazing how efficient and cheaper your relocation can be.
One or two months away from moving
Ring Prestige Moving as soon as you can to discuss your removal requirements. It is a good idea to complete an online quote form on our internet site so we can see exactly what is intended to be moved which will then give us a good idea on what size truck and or storage container you will need. Then when you are satisfied with our quote you can book the removal in for a date and time that suits your requirements. Always remember that after this process if there is anything you are unsure of or need to discuss our great team are only a phone call away. – Organise moving insurance as early as you can. Regular household insurance for a rental property may not cover your items during transit.
- Compare household insurance policies and organise insurance for your new home or rental property before moving in.
- When you’re renting, it’s important to give notice as early as you can. At least four weeks is usually needed to reclaim your bond.
- Clear items you don’t need and hold a garage sale to make packing your flat or house faster, easier and cheaper.
- Prestige Moving has packing materials such as boxes, packing tape, bubble wrap, and butchers white paper. We also have packing blankets and specialised boxes for TVs, pictures, artwork, mirrors, even a Port A Robe so you can hang your clothing upright. Please give us a call if you would like any of these items delivered to you. We can even take the stress out of packing as we can supply our experienced packing team to do it for you at very reasonable rates so you have more time to organise other things to do with your move.
- Start to pack large and difficult items that you won’t need over the next few weeks Marking the boxes: loungeroom, bathroom, and which bedroom. This will save you time, and it helps our team to know where to put your boxes in your new house, leaving you with a lot less lifting and moving for you later on.
- Make a list of people you need to contact by email or phone regarding your move and organize a date for the redirection of your personal mail and magazine subscriptions. A good idea is to get all your bills online indefinitely to save you time and money.
- Make sure to book a storage container at Prestige Moving if needed. If you leave items at your rental property after the moving date, you may incur additional rent. Please note that our portable storage containers can be left with you prior to the move so you can put your precious belongings inside at your leisure. Once you’re ready, give us a call to collect the storage container which can be stored at Prestige Moving until you are ready for it to be delivered to your new house. You can either unload it yourself in your own time or our experienced team can do all the hard work for you.
- Check your lease and tenant agreement and schedule any necessary repairs on your rental property. Any any damage will be paid for out of your bond money.
Two weeks before moving
- As the date gets closer, it’s a good idea to notify council and services such as electricity, gas, water, and telephone/internet as these places can have a waiting list for disconnections and reconnections and it will not be good to go into your new property with nothing connected. Utilities are usually separate from rental contracts, with services linked to your name rather than your address.
- If you’re renting an apartment in a serviced building, you need to speak to the building supervisor about getting your services disconnected.
- Research the moving regulations that may apply to your rented home, including access restrictions, lift protocols, parking, and traffic management. This information needs to be given to Prestige Moving at least one week prior to removal date as our team liked to be well prepared before moving day comes around so all will go smoothly on the day for all concerned
- It’s a good idea to have family or friends looking after your children and pets on moving day, and take some time off work so you can take care of any last minute details.
- Rental properties need to be adequately cleaned to reclaim your bond. While some contracts state a preference for a professional and invoiced cleaning service, others depend on a final inspection. Your Agent can advise you on the standard practice.
- Along with general cleaning including the kitchen and bathrooms, rented properties need you to clean and service exterior spaces, for example, weeding gardens, cleaning the pool, sweeping driveways, even mowing the lawns. Carpets generally need to be shampooed, and all the rubbish will need to be disposed of.
1 week before you move
- Confirm your booking with Prestige Moving such as the date, time and addresses. Remember our very experienced team are very capable of helping you solve any problem you might have with the removal so don’t hesitate to give them an extra call to talk through concerns or questions.
- Inspect the tenant checklist you signed when you moved in and make sure you’re leaving your rental home in the same condition you found it. Any photos taken previously will help.
- Finish packing as early as you can. While you will have to pack specific items the night before you move, try to do as much as you can as early as possible.
The day before you move
- Leave enough time to defrost your fridge and freezer and drip tray under the fridge well before our team arrives. If white goods or furniture are part of the rental property, it’s important that you leave them clean and in a working condition, otherwise, your bond will be used to clean or replace any appliance not working.
- When moving out of a rented house, it’s particularly important to double check your old home is clean, all carpets are shampooed, all rubbish removed and there is no damage. If it doesn’t pass the inspection, you’re unlikely to get your bond back.
- When renting, it’s also important to make sure that your possessions are packed and moved before the end of your lease or notice period. If you’re late, you may incur an additional rent or a fine.
Ring Prestige Moving and confirm all arrangements, notifying them of any changes or concerns you may have. Our team is very experienced and extremely helpful to make sure all your possessions safely arrive at your new premises.
- Get organised. It’s so important to make a “last minute” list and do everything you can to make the moving day run smoothly.
- Organise an essentials box that you keep with you at all times, including things like toilet paper, torches, batteries, and a first aid kit.
- Pack day bags for each family member. Remember to have your mobile and wallet and credit cards handy for when the job is done for payment.
- Having access to toys, devices, and other personal items, snacks and drinks can make a big difference to children during this stressful time.
- If you’re moving into a rental house, it’s important to inspect the property thoroughly and make sure that all defects have been noted on the new tenant checklist. It’s a good idea to take photos to show the agent and for your records.
- Organise the transfer of keys and paperwork, and finalise details with your landlord or real estate agent.
Last but not least, relax and enjoy your new premises and please recommend Prestige Moving to your family and friends.